That’s a really great question! Why? Well, here’s a few reasons:
- Camping by bike is generally cheaper. Site costs are usually lower, especially when using hiker/biker-specific sites, when available.
- Bike-specific sites are generally more available. Hiker/biker sites tend to be under-used, so there’s usually sites available even on the spur of the moment. (but you should always check to be sage, and have a backup plan)
- The scenery! You can see so much more along the way at 12mph rather than 60mph.
- It’s great exercise. Cycling is low-impact, great cardio, and even at a very mild pace when carrying gear you’ll get a good workout – without fitness club fees!
- A sense of accomplishment. It’s a great feeling to know that you biked 20, 40, or maybe even 70 miles under your own power with your gear.
- One with nature – feeling the wind in your face and being in fresh air is a wonderful feeling.
You might have a few reservations (no pun intended) about camping by bike. Here are some:
- I’ve never ridden 20 miles on a bike before! – It’s easier than you think, look here for some ideas!
- I could never carry that much gear! – There’s a lot of ways to carry your gear, and you don’t have to travel heavy.
- Aren’t roads dangerous? – Roads can always be dangerous, even when just walking across one, or driving it. Cycling is basically safe, and there are ways to manage what risk there is. Here’s some ideas on road safety.
- It’s too hot / cold / rainy / dry / crowded / lonely for me to go camping by bike! – There are ways to deal with each of these, if you’re willing to chance a little discomfort. Here are some tips on staying comfortable.
- I don’t know where to camp! – I’ve got some great ideas for you on that front!
- What do I do I something goes wrong? – Have a plan on how to deal with it, and always try to have a way to bail out if necessary. Here’s some tips.
- I hate sleeping in tents! – You don’t have to! There’s some great options for lodging in state and federal campgrounds.
- I don’t want to have to cook my food! – There’s options here too, check these ideas!